What is Organic Cold Pressed Mustard Oil? All About its Health Benefits & Uses | Divinity Organics
by Yogita Mehtani on Oct 15, 2022
India is the land of spices, and each state has its own speciality in terms of cuisine. In our day-to-day life, we use a variety of oils for cooking purposes. Cold-pressed mustard oil is one of the most commonly used oils in Indian kitchens, especially in the eastern parts of the country. This oil has a very strong, pungent smell and a distinct taste. It is dark yellow in colour and has a slightly bitter taste.
The process of extracting cold-pressed mustard oil is a bit different from the other oils. In this article, we will discuss what Cold pressed mustard oil is. Why is it different from conventional mustard oil? What are its uses and benefits?
What is Cold-Pressed Mustard Oil?
A cold pressed mustard oil is one that is extracted without the use of any heat or chemicals. The cold-pressed method of extraction preserves all the nutrients and flavour of the mustard seed. In this method, the seeds are grounded at room temperature and then placed in a press where they are slowly crushed to release their oils naturally. Cold-pressed mustard oil has a strong, pungent taste and is a popular ingredient in Indian cuisine. It is also known for its many health benefits.
Are Cold-Pressed Mustard Oil and Mustard Oil the Same?
Below are the differences between cold-pressed mustard oil and regular mustard oil:
- Cold-pressed mustard oil has a nutty flavour, while regular mustard oil is more pungent.
- Cold-pressed mustard oil is less processed than regular mustard oil.
- Cold-pressed mustard oil retains more of its nutrients than regular mustard oil.
- Cold-pressed mustard oil has a higher smoke point than regular mustard oil, making it better for cooking.
- The extraction process of cold-pressed mustard oil differs from regular mustard oil.
- Cold-pressed mustard oil is made by pressing the seeds at room temperature, while regular mustard oil is made by heating the seeds before pressing them.
This difference in the extraction process gives cold-pressed mustard oil a milder flavour and higher nutrient content than regular mustard oil. The higher smoke point of cold-pressed mustard oil also makes it a better choice for cooking, as it can better withstand the heat without breaking down and losing its flavour and nutrient content.
What are the Health Benefits of Cold-Pressed Mustard Oil?
Here we are listing some of the most important benefits of consuming cold pressed mustard oil:
- It's high in MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids), which are beneficial to the heart. The oil can help lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease.
- It can even slow down or prevent grey hair development! Including this in your diet may help you look younger.
- The presence of alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3 fatty acids) in mustard oil can help improve cognitive function and memory.
- It has vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant. This vitamin can help protect the cells from damage and ward off diseases.
- Cold-pressed mustard oil can help improve digestion and prevent constipation.
- It can also boost the immune system and help fight off infections.
The Vedic texts of India mention the use of mustard oil for massages, and it was even used in ancient Greece. Cold-pressed mustard oil has a long history of use as both a food and medicine. The health benefits of cold-pressed mustard oil are due to the presence of various compounds, including essential fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins.
How to Use Cold-Pressed Mustard Oil?
The uses of mustard oil are numberless, and it is an irreplaceable ingredient in Indian kitchens. Below are the most common uses of mustard oil:
- In Indian cooking, mustard oil is used as a tempering agent – it is heated until smoking and then used to fry spices or vegetables. This imparts a characteristic flavour to the dish.
- Mustard oil can also be used for frying and sautéing. It has a high smoking point, which makes it ideal for this purpose.
- Mustard oil is commonly used in pickling recipes. It lends a sharp and pungent flavour to the pickles.
- Mustard oil is also used in massage therapy. It is believed to have warming and healing properties.
- Mustard oil is used as hair oil in India. It is massaged into the scalp to improve circulation and promote hair growth.
- Mustard oil is also used as a natural remedy for colds and coughs. It is believed to help clear the respiratory tract.
- Mustard oil can be used in a number of ways in Ayurvedic medicine. It is used in massage oils and hair tonics and is also taken internally to improve digestion.
With numerous health benefits and a versatile range of uses, cold pressed mustard oil is a must-have in every kitchen. It is a healthy cooking oil with a host of benefits for the hair and skin. The ayurvedic properties of this oil make it an excellent choice for massage and aromatherapy. Buy cold-pressed mustard oil online from a reputed seller to get the best quality product.
Q. Is cold-pressed mustard oil good for cooking?
This oil is ideal for cooking as it has a high smoking point. This means that it can be used for frying and other cooking methods without losing its nutritional value.
Q. Is cold-pressed oil better?
Yes, cold-pressed mustard oil is better than refined oil as it retains all the natural nutrients and gives the food a natural flavour. The antioxidants present in this oil makes it a healthier choice for family and individuals.
Q. Is cold-pressed mustard oil better than normal mustard oil?
Yes, cold-pressed mustard oil is better than normal mustard oil. The main difference between the two is that cold-pressed mustard oil is made without any heat or chemicals, so it retains all of its nutrients and has a more natural flavour.
Q. What is Cold pressed mustard oil?
Cold-pressed mustard oil is made from mustard seeds that have been crushed and pressed to extract the oil. The resulting oil is highly flavorful and pungent, with a peppery taste. It is also rich in beneficial compounds like omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and phytochemicals.
Q. Are there any side effects of using cold-pressed mustard oil?
Cold-pressed mustard oil is generally safe for most people to consume. The oil has several potential health benefits. If you feel any adverse effects after consuming the oil, stop using it and speak to your doctor.